Sunday, November 10, 2013

BABIES? BABIES... BABIES!

That dreaded topic after you get married.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've been asked when I'll be having a baby. Nor the number of times of when I've been asked if I'm pregnant.


I know it's a natural question to ask, since... y'know. You're supposed to get busy (and lucky) after you tie the knot, but DAMMIT this is getting out of hand!

I've had one old lady from church who asked me if I were pregnant because I was wearing a cardigan.

What??

Hey, I'm not jumping to conclusions here because after I was asked this bewildering question out of the blue, I asked her in return, "Why do you say so?" and she retorted, "Oh, because you're wearing a cardigan, and pregnant ladies are usually easily cold".

WTF.

Or this other time when I had complained a little about how friggin HOT it is (Ahem* Malaysia in general is very hot ok), and I also get a question (albeit, this time she whispered into my ear) about whether I'm pregnant. When I told her I wasn't, she nicely explained to me that pregnant women usually feel hot.

Wah sei.

Feel hot also pregnant, feel cold also pregnant?
If that's the case everyone also pregnant!

Or this other time when some old man (also from church) who came up to me, immediately congratulating me on my pregnancy! DANGIT! Do I have that bloated a tummy?? So I asked him straight in the face, "Am I fat? Is that why you're congratulating me?". Needless to say, he was quite embarrassed and just proverbially retreated into his tortoise shell and has not had eye contact with me ever again.




Although I am very public about my un-keenness about being a mom, and how I strongly believe that children are parasites from the womb until they get a job... I hope that my spirit can let my unborn (and pre-conceived) child's know that I will love him/her. Deeply. Unconditionally.

I absolutely cannot imagine how my life will be like once a child is brought into our lives, and I shudder at the very thought of being responsible for another life! But I suppose most parents are noobs at it. And they really just cross the bridge when they come to it.

I know I'm probably not the first to feel this way, but I find it hard to let things just run its course and see how things go. While we're on the way. That's crazy!

All this being said, and contrary to popular belief-- I am not adverse to the thought of having a baby. After all, I love kids, and I do want to be a mom someday. I want to be the life-giver and caregiver to my very own "bundle of joy"!


And after one and a half years of marriage, I feel like... I might be ready to be a mom :) And what's MORE assuring is that I have D to be my baby daddy :)

So now we'll just have to see when's the best time to have a kid! :)




No comments: