Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Change

D constantly sends me articles (those he finds interesting) from the Harvard Business Review. He swears by their authenticity and quality. I'm not much of a reader, but I do skim through everything he sends me, and this one (today) in particular struck me.

It's about change.
And the 3 things that one should take up when embarking on it

The first
Clear destination-- Many change programs fail because not everyone understands where they are headed. I cannot agree more. It's difficult to have a good momentum when there are parts of your organisation (or yourself) that don't know what's supposed to happen or what's to be done.

The second
A starting point-- Big goals are intimidating, and sometimes paralyzing. Get started by taking small steps toward your goal. Momentum will build. There are wise quotes found all over the internet about taking "first steps". How the first step starts you on a journey. And if it's one thing I've learnt for the past 4 years? It's that you should always take ONE day at a time. Step by step.

The third
Persistence-- Most change efforts look like they're going to fail at some point: usually in the middle. Don't give up and find ways around these obstacles and make necessary alterations. Don't give up. Most times, people give up what they've set out to do because it's failed before or looks like things are going to sink. But I suppose persistence is one way to tough it out to really see if the reaping was really worth the sowing.


We're in the final quarter of 2010 already. How time has passed! I promised myself that I want to make this year a GOOD year-- that on the very last day of 2010, I'd be able to look back and say, "This year was a GOOD year". I've stumbled and mucked up many times so far... and it doesn't at all look like how I imagined it to be, to be quite honest. I would like to admit to myself that this year was a let down of my resolutions, but I don't want to linger on how everything this year was and is quite unstable.

The year 2011 is bringing about change for me.
So I am going to set a clear direction as to where I want to go in life: make plans. Start out small, and take one day at a time, one challenge at a time. And OMG, this time-- I'm going to be persistent. I'm going to stick to what I've set out to do and do it well. Not just temporarily, but for the long term. It's time I don't just run away when things get hard or uncomfortable.


Fingers crossed.

No comments: